It has been reported that the probability of an adverse drug event is 13% in patients taking 2 drugs, and increases to 82% in those taking more than seven (Goldberg et al, 1996) 1. In patients taking 10 medications or more, this probability nears 100%
Do you have more than 5 medications?
- Polypharmacy.ca - Polypharmacy Toolkit
- Canadian Geriatrics Society - Safer Prescribing in Elderly
- GiiC Toolkit - Polypharmacy
- American Geriatrics Society - BEERS Criteria for Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Adults
- Goldberg RM, Mabee J, Chan L, and Wong S (1996). Drug-drug and drug-disease interactions in the ED: analysis of a high-risk population. Am J Emerg Med 14: 447-450.